What is 'British Art Show 9'?
The British Art Show is one of the most significant art exhibitions produced in the UK as well as an ambitious collaborative project, representing the most advanced model of touring for the visual arts. Established in 1979, the exhibition tours to four cities across the UK every five years, encompassing a wide geographical spread and new locations. The exhibition is a landmark event for the visual arts, defining current tendencies and directions in contemporary art and introducing a new generation of artists to a wide public.
From 8 October until 23 December 2022, it will be exhibited across four partner venues in Plymouth (The Box, KARST, The Levinsky Gallery at the University of Plymouth and MIRROR at Arts University Plymouth). We are looking to offer seven Ambassador paid opportunities for people to support the show, before and during its Plymouth run.
What will the Ambassadors do?
- Develop collaboration and engagement through a range of relevant and tailored activities, targeted at a specific community group(s) or networks. You might want to run a workshop, create a short film or engage your community in another way which will make the British Art Show 9 relevant and exciting for them.
- Develop collaboration and engagement through a range of relevant and tailored activities, targeted at specific community group(s)
- Devise interesting ways to connect your community and networks into the British Art Show 9 and so make the show even more engaging and interesting for organisations and the general public
- Raise awareness of, and interest in, the British Art Show 9 to encourage positive word of mouth and public relations. Many groups and communities don’t necessarily see contemporary art as being something for them. Ambassadors will come up with creative ways to share their own enthusiasm for the show with their own networks and beyond.
- Be representative of, or closely connected to, a specific community or communities
- Be an advocate for the British Art Show 9 with local communities, organisations and the general public
- Work closely with British Art Show Plymouth partners, staff, students, artists and visitors
- Work with marketing teams across the British Art Show 9 venues, to develop tangible outputs which can be shared across the city, e.g. blogs, case study, film or images
We are looking for innovative, creative and exciting ideas to be an ambassador to your groups and networks.
We are particularly interested in hearing from people who have experience to draw upon in supporting their own community, or network of people, in a consideration and conversation around the works in the British Art Show 9. The community you see yourself as part of, and potentially working with, could relate to the place in the city where you live, aspects of your identity, your wider interests or hobbies or even the online platforms and social media that you engage with every day. We’d particularly like to hear from potential youth ambassadors and also potential ambassadors from the wider city neighbourhoods. Applicants should have a passion for and interest in the arts but do not need to have a background in contemporary art.
The total fee for each Ambassador is £2,625 (17 days work at £150 per day).
Please forward an expression of interest outlining your ideas, aims and objectives to [email protected] before 4pm on 1 July 2022. This can take the form of a written submission of not more than two sides of A4 or, perhaps, a recorded audio or video file of not more than five minutes.
As part of your application, please explain your interest in the role and what you feel you can bring to it. Please outline the networks and communities you intend to reach with your work and what connections and links you already hold. Please also explain how you would target audiences, groups and communities to engage them with 'British Art Show 9' and also provide a provisional timeline for your activities, along with specifying any material or equipment costs you anticipate being required.
Anyone is welcome to apply and we look forward to hearing from you.