How long does a visit take?
There's no right or wrong way to visit The Box - whether you've got an hour or a day, there's always something here for you to experience and enjoy. Here are some handy recommendations:
- 1 hour: Look around a specific exhibition or gallery in detail - this autumn why not head over to our beautifully restored St Luke's gallery to enjoy the stunning Dutch Flowers exhibition?
- 2 hours: Pick two or three of our spaces to explore and enjoy what's on offer in The Box Kitchen & Bar.
- Half a day: Look around all our spaces, browse our brilliant onsite shop and treat yourself to something to eat and drink.
- All day: Why not make a day of it? Look around our galleries in detail, take a break for lunch, enjoy our exhibitions and then visit the shop before you leave.
Our main entrance and exit on Tavistock Place has step free access. We have an additional entrance and exit on North Hill which has steps.
Entry to and exit from St Luke’s is also on Tavistock Place, opposite our main building.
CCTV is in operation across our site.
Two lifts provide access between our floors. They are available to visitors with access needs only. Some lifts can also accommodate flatbed wheelchairs. Please contact us for detailed access information.
You can also check out our Access page for more details about how you can make the most of your visit and our commitment to getting things right.
Toilets are available on each floor. We have wheelchair accessible toilets, a fully accessible Changing Places toilet (which includes a hoist, height adjustable changing bench, shower and height adjustable sink) and baby change facilities on our ground floor.
Lockers are available on site and cost £1 each which contributes towards the care of The Box's collections. If you need further assistance speak to the staff at the Welcome Desk.
Free WiFi is available throughout our site.
We welcome official guide or care dogs on but unfortunately no other dogs are permitted inside The Box buildings.
Emergency supplies of eco-friendly nappies, wipes and sanitary products are available from our Welcome Desk.
Make your visit kinder to the planet
There are lots of ways to help make your visit to The Box as environmentally-friendly as possible:
- Use public transport or a Beryl e-Bike to get to and from The Box - we have an e-bike parking bay on Tavistock Place!
- Bring a re-useable cup with you and get a discount on drinks in The Little Box café on Tavistock Place.
- Try one of the delicious vegetarian or vegan dishes from the menu in The Box Kitchen & Bar.
- Take a look at the climate change cases in our Active Archives gallery to learn more about the climate crisis and get some useful tips about how you can take action to reduce your impact on the environment.
- Browse and buy from the many ethically produced items in our shop.